Food and Loathing Restaurant Guide -- Ep. 15: Fabulous Las Vegas

Brian Newman After Dark

Before getting into the glitz and glamor of Las Vegas (such as Brian Newman, pictured above), we kicked off this week’s episode at Las Vegas’ longest-running cheese shop, Valley Cheese and Wine on Horizon Ridge Parkway in Henderson. The shop’s owner, Diana Brier, was kind enough to serve as this week’s guest co-host.


As I ran down Diana’s amazing resume, I noted her cheesy positions at Deer Valley Resort in Park City, and at Oregon’s famed Rogue Creamery.

We then got into our discussion of places we’ve recently visited, and Diana told us about her staycation at The M Resort. She loved the oysters Rockefeller, filet and crustaceans Louie at Anthony’s Prime Steak & Seafood. (I chimed in to note my love of the oysters Rockefeller at The Broiler in Boulder Station.)

Rich shared some excerpts from his Oscar Goodman dinner series at Oscar’s in The Plaza. If you want to hear more of that, tune into The Plaza’s in-house podcast, produced by Rich, On The Corner of Main Street.

I mentioned my lessons on robata grilling at Zuma in The Cosmopolitan, and a little video I assembled from my visit there.

I also shared a bit of my interview with Chef Sarah Thompson of Wynn/Encore’s upscale Mexican spot, Casa Playa.

For our second segment, we head to The Legacy Club atop Circa on Fremont Street. Our guests for this segment are The Las Vegas Review Journal’s John Katsilometes and OffTheStrip.com’s Melinda Sheckells. You can also find Melinda’s work at Billboard, The Hollywood Reporter, Hospitality Design, Channel 3 and Channel 13.

I start off by asking if there are any spots in Downtown Las Vegas that are as hip and trendy as the Legacy Club. That leads Melinda to discuss the rarity of sky-high bars in Las Vegas, noting the few exceptions: House of Blues Foundation Room at Mandalay Bay, Starlight on 66 at Resorts World and Stratosphere. John mentioned the view at Top of Binion’s Steakhouse and the vibe at Oscar’s in The Plaza. We also chat briefly about Voodoo at The Rio.

During our discussion of paparazzi, Melinda mentions celebrity appearances at Delilah in Wynn Las Vegas. She also shares a crazy story about Justin Bieber’s 21st birthday, which coincided with the opening of Omnia in Caesars Palace.

During out discussions of the future of dayclubs, my guests mentioned the success of Chainsmokers at Encore Beach Club, and the pool decks at both Resorts World  (Zouk) and Virgin (Elia). I also asked about the future of the former Kaos space at The Palms, after the San Manuel purchase.

We then move on to a discussion of the new dinner-and-a-show trend, noting a few places that offer entertainment in a restaurant setting. They included:

Mayfair Supper Club at Bellagio

Delilah at Wynn

Brian Newman After Dark at NoMad Library

Superfrico at The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas

I then brought up the many new places to dine and drink at Wynn/Encore, including Overlook Lounge.

John mentioned the Atomic Saloon Show at The Venetian.

I ask my guests about a couple of off-Strip places that seem to be attracting celebrities: Jing in Downtown Summerlin and Blume on St. Rose Parkway near Eastern Avenue in Henderson. They weren’t terribly familiar with them, however.

When we return to Valley Cheese and Wine, we share some news.

I talk briefly about Nobu coming to Paris Las Vegas.

I also talk about Andy Wang’s Food and Wine article about Chef Nicole Brisson’s new home steak delivery, through BrezzaItalian.com/bistecca-di-brisson/

During Rich’s junk food report, we chat a bit about Roberto’s Tacos.

I then spoke about my visit to Frey Ranch distillery in Fallon, Nevada. I told you about a meal I enjoyed there, prepared by Chef Mark Estee. The woman I speak about who helped source ingredients for that farm-to-table dinner was Kelli Kelly of the Fallon Food Hub.

Diana was familiar with one of the producers who provided ingredients for that meal: Sandhill Dairy. You can purchase their milk at MGP Specialty Food (which is an amazing local business, run by the same folks who operate Cured & Whey).

Our cannabis edibles review for this week was Cheeba Chews.

Finally, during my tease of Superfrico, I mentioned the “sketch from the future” they had delivered to my door that morning. So just for fun, here’s a shot of that.




Popular posts from this blog

12 Great Mexican Restaurants for celebrating Cinco de Mayo in Las Vegas

Buddy V bringing TWO new concepts to The LINQ

Esther's expansion, French bistro & Italian grocery -- James Trees has big plans for The Arts Distrcit